It’s finally getting chilly out here in sunny LA and I’m remembering my mid-west / East Coast roots and craving a hearty kale soup. So I put together some of my favorite ingredients and created a pot of broth-y, soul-warming soup. Makes me want to knit a sweater, or at least wear one.
• Kale – dinosaur, red or green curly – slivered
• Peruvian blue potatoes – cut in half
• Green beans – ends cut off and cut in half
• Zucchini – cut in slices and then halved
• Cabbage – cut into pieces
• 3 Cans Vegetable broth (Swanson’s or 365 preferred)
• 1 large can Hunt’s Whole Tomatoes, cut up and juice added to broth
Bring vegetable broth to a boil.
Add all vegetables except kale, cabbage and tomatoes.
Return to boil, then reduce to low simmer for 15 minutes until carrots and green beans are soft.
Add tomatoes and juice and cabbage.
Bring back to a boil.
Reduce heat to simmer and add kale.
Cool for 4-5 minutes until kale strands are wilted.